August 6, 2020
Dear San Miguel Families and Community:
I am writing with an update about the start of the 2020-2021 school year.
- Our first day of school for students is now August 26th!
- All students will begin in a full distance learning phase (virtual) due to the fact that San Diego County is still on the State’s monitoring list for excessive COVID19 infection rates.
- We will provide a 4-week advance notice to families, when it is safe to return to in-person instruction at the school site.
- The district is prepared to provide a Chromebook for EVERY Lemon Grove student!
- We are also able to facilitate home internet access if you do not currently have access to the internet.
- We will not be providing “packets” of worksheets as the mode of instruction for the 2020-21 school year. Using a computer device is essential.
Your school principal will be reaching out soon with more specific details on the preparations for returning to school. The district will also offer a series of webinars for parents to understand how the launch of school and distance learning will look.
School Leadership Update
I am pleased to announce that a new principal, Mrs. Julie Jones, has been selected to lead your amazing school. The Principal Selection Committee for San Miguel Elementary, made up of teachers, staff and district leaders have completed their task. They have worked as a team to review applications and interview many exceptional candidates.
Julie began her career in 2006 within San Diego Unified School District and worked as an elementary site special education teacher until 2009. She then transitioned to the district’s Special Education Department and itinerantly supported special education school site teams. During this time, she worked with elementary, middle and high school campuses as they enhanced their special education service delivery models. In 2015, Julie accepted an administrator position within the same department and worked in this capacity until 2017. She was able to continue providing direct support to special education school site teams, facilitated professional development for teachers and administrators and led many district initiatives to improve outcomes for students with disabilities.
Beginning in January 2018, Julie started working in Lemon Grove School District as a Program Specialist. Her scope of work broadened to now include student services as well as special education. Julie also assisted San Miguel Elementary from January to March 2020 as the school’s interim principal. She is looking forward to returning to the site as the principal and eager to welcome staff, students and families back to campus.
Julie looks forward to working with the phenomenal teachers, very involved parents, community and staff to support San Miguel’s Stallions in maintaining the high level of instruction and education that you enjoyed in the past two years under the capable leadership of Mrs. Teresa Richmond.
Please join me in welcoming Mrs. Jones to the San Miguel Elementary community! We are delighted to have an individual with her energy and passion for teaching and learning join our leadership team. You can reach Julie via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at the school office (619) 825-5619.
You can connect with her on the San Miguel Elementary Class Dojo communication platform. Please register - it is how we will communicate with you in the 2020-21 school year!